Digging Deep


I have had Bibles in my home and in the back of every pew in churches I have attended my whole life.  While I have always described the Bible as being “God’s word”, I have rarely acted like it!  I am ashamed to admit that the privilege of open access to God’s word has produced complacency and laziness rather than intimacy with the author of my faith.  Instead of taking advantage of the opportunities I have had with the Bible and considering it a unique gift desired by many, I have taken it for granted for much of my life. 

While being in Guatemala, I spent much of my time disconnected from “the world” in several ways.  Having no phone, no way to text, limited internet, and time with no cable has left me reading more books than I ever have in my life.  One thing that I have come to notice is that regardless of the book, God has used it to direct my focus and draw my heart to scripture.  While reading the Bible always brings enjoyment, familiarity with the God we serve, and focus into our daily lives, God has been pursuing me to dig deeper. 

While God has gifted me with a new desire to dig deeper, it has been a bit overwhelming to consider each intricate detail of every verse, in every chapter, in every book, so I have started out small!  I am taking familiar people and looking closely at their individual part in God’s plan.  I have begun to consider such things as the time, the place, their influences, their reactions and their willingness to allow God to guide them.  I often just take time to consider the intentional words and phrases that were chosen for passages that speak to me.  Sometimes I am humbled by the response of Gods chosen people in the midst of difficult circumstances while other times I can relate with hastily choosing a path that I think would be best rather than patiently waiting for Gods intervention and invitation to get involved. 

On days that it seems that I will never get it right, please those around me or have a holy thought process when things don’t go as I have planned, this type of bible study reminds me that God is the same today as He was back then, that He is in the business of using regular people and that His plan will be accomplished regardless of the details that drive me crazy!  Thank you God for being in control, for loving me and for pursuing me to dig deeper!

Comments

Popular Posts