Jesus is enough, REALLY!


Several weeks ago I was asked to speak for a women’s group that meets every Friday at a feeding center in San Antonio. Although I knew that this was unfamiliar territory for me, I recognized immediately that God had opened the door and felt confident that He was drawing me to a new opportunity.  I was thankful for the invitation and quickly accepted without question or explanation.  As I began to prepare my lesson, I realized how unprepared I really was!  I went through the week looking through books, searching the Internet and collecting ideas.  Although I was determined to make something work, Thursday night arrived and found me without an established plan.  I nearly had a pity party!  (Insert annoying sarcastic voice here) “Here I am in the middle of Guatemala attempting to prepare a lesson AND activity for women who do not speak English, are unable to read or write and (due to culture and lack of experience) are incapable of relating to my real world examples or my neatly printed object lesson! Whoa….is….me……”!  This is a moment that I am not proud of but a situation that God used to give me focus and clarity. 

As I sat at my desk on that Thursday night surrounded by my collection of “possibilities”, I slowly considered and then removed each object, lesson idea and craft idea that would not work under the circumstances within the group.  Several minutes later, only my Bible remained on the desk in front of me.  I will say it again.  When I was out of ideas and nothing else seemed to work, I realized that my Bible was right in front of me all along! After acknowledging my sinful perspective and hesitation to refer to God's Word, I spent the next several hours reflecting and praying over the verses that God had been speaking to me through during devotional times the previous few weeks.  After all the time wasted looking elsewhere, I realized that He had started speaking to my heart about Friday’s lesson even before I received the invitation to share.  By the end of the night, God used His word to weave together a wonderful message to share with the sweet women in San Antonio and lovingly reminded me that when I take my eyes off of Him, I fail to see that Jesus is enough!

Comments

Popular Posts